Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Fw: Hot Topics at The Body's "Ask the Experts" Forums


By on 5:25 PM


From: "News at The Body" <update@news.thebody.com>
Date: 17 Apr 2012 17:58:27 -0400
To: <nelsonvergel@yahoo.com>
ReplyTo: "News at The Body" <update@news.thebody.com>
Subject: Hot Topics at The Body's "Ask the Experts" Forums

If you have trouble reading this e-mail, you can see the online version at: www.thebody.com/topics.html

April 17, 2012
Visit the Forums
"Hot Topics" Library
Change/Update Subscription


LIVING WITH HIV/AIDS


 Will I Be Alive for the Cure?
I'm 27 years old and newly diagnosed with HIV. I've been on Atripla (efavirenz/tenofovir/FTC) for almost a year. I'm already experiencing anxiety and depression, and I'm worried about what taking these strong meds for my entire life is going to do to me. An HIV cure feels like the only answer. Last year I read a lot of buzz about cure research, but lately it appears to me that optimism is flagging again. Can I hope to see one in my lifetime?

Nelson Vergel responds in the "Nutrition and Exercise" forum


 Why Do You Recommend Vitamin D?
Nowadays I've been hearing a lot about vitamin D. Why do you think that is? Is vitamin D the best vitamin supplement for people living with HIV? Do you recommend a particular brand of supplement?

Benjamin Young, M.D., Ph.D., responds in the "Choosing Your Meds" forum


More Questions About Living With HIV/AIDS:


MIXED-STATUS COUPLES


 Can I Use My Poz Partner's Semen for Personal Play?
My partner is HIV positive. Would I be at risk of becoming HIV positive if I used his cum as lube to masturbate myself with?

Erik Glenn, M.A., responds in the "Safe Sex and HIV Prevention" forum


 Am I Legally Bound to Reveal My Spouse's HIV Status?
My spouse was diagnosed with HIV over 18 years ago. The number of people who know this info is very few. A lab tech from a local lab had to take some of my spouse's blood for a recent non-HIV-related health issue. We've been familiar with this person and their family for many years, and my spouse didn't want to reveal their HIV status. I don't believe the person took "universal precautions" when performing my spouse's blood draws, though no needle-stick accident took place. In situations like this, am I legally responsible to reveal my spouse's HIV status when I know that my spouse will not? Can I get in any trouble if I don't?

Christa Douaihy, Esq., responds in the "Legal Issues and HIV" forum


INSURANCE, WORKPLACE & LEGAL CONCERNS


 Can My New Employer's Insurance Deny Me for a Pre-Existing Condition?
I've been HIV positive for almost 20 years. A year ago I was laid off and I haven't had coverage for about nine months. I've now returned to work and my new insurance carrier is stating I have a pre-existing condition. What can I do?

Jacques Chambers, C.L.U., responds in the "Workplace and Insurance Issues" forum


Visual AIDS: Art from HIV-Positive Artists

Image from the April 2012 Visual AIDS gallery Detail from:
"Resistance," 1993
Elliott Linwood

Visit the April 2012 Visual AIDS Web Gallery to view our latest collection of art by HIV-positive artists! This month's gallery, "Borders/Crossings," is curated by Liz Barr.

BODY SHAPE CHANGES & HIV/AIDS


 Should I Join a Study of Human Growth Hormone for Belly Fat Loss?
The local university medical center in my area is conducting research on the effects and safety of human growth hormone (HGH). Should I participate in the study? If I start HGH now, do I have to be on it for the rest of my life? Do you think it will help me manage the belly fat gain I've been noticing lately?

Keith Henry, M.D., responds in the "Managing Side Effects of HIV Treatment" forum


HIV/AIDS TREATMENT


 Which Are the Best HIV Med Regimens?
I'm a 23-year-old male, diagnosed with HIV about a year ago. I've been taking Norvir (ritonavir), Prezista (darunavir) and Truvada (tenofovir/FTC) for four months now. Aside from a rash I had at first, I seem to be tolerating them well. Which would you say is the best anti-HIV treatment combo for the long term -- possibly one with fewer pills and side effects? What are the options?

Nelson Vergel responds in the "Aging With HIV" forum


 Didn't Take Meds With Food: What Are the Consequences?
I'm 64, I was diagnosed with HIV three years ago and I'm taking Intelence (etravirine) twice daily and Truvada (tenofovir/FTC) once daily. My viral load was undetectable and my T-cell count was 625 as of a month ago. I was recently hospitalized with gastritis and diverticulitis and was fed intravenously for a few days before returning to a full diet. When I explained to the doctor that I need to take Intelence after a meal, he ignored that and told me I needed to not eat. How likely is my current regimen to fail because I didn't take the meds with solid food?

Joseph P. McGowan, M.D., F.A.C.P., responds in the "Choosing Your Meds" forum


More Questions About HIV/AIDS Treatment:


OTHER HEALTH ISSUES & HIV/AIDS


 Are There Any Supplements That Help Relieve Neuropathy?
I've been HIV positive since October 2007 and doing well. I started taking HIV meds in November 2011 and soon had problems with pain, numbness and tingling in my hands, fingers and feet (peripheral neuropathy). My doctor told me to take a vitamin B-complex tablet, but the neuropathy got worse. I have now switched regimens twice and am terrified the pins and needles will return, but I want to be on meds that will keep my HIV in control. Do you know of any herbs or supplements that can help with neuropathy symptoms?

Nelson Vergel responds in the "Nutrition and Exercise" forum


 How Do I Treat an Esophageal Ulcer on My HIV Meds?
I'm a long-term HIV survivor (HIV positive since 1987) with an undetectable viral load, taking Norvir (ritonavir), Reyataz (atazanavir) and Truvada (tenofovir/FTC). For a long time I've had a burning when I swallow, and I recently found out I have an esophageal ulcer. Virtually every medicine out there interacts with Reyataz. How am I going to treat this new condition while taking my HIV med regimen?

Benjamin Young, M.D., Ph.D., responds in the "Choosing Your Meds" forum


Connect With Others

How Do Other Mixed-Status Couples Remain Successful?
(A recent post from the "Relationships and Dating" board)

My partner and I have been together for almost a year now. Halfway through the year I was diagnosed with HIV. It has been a struggle yet we are still together, going strong with pretty much no issues. I know relationships can go up and down. However, It would really be nice to hear from some people who have been together, had the significant other become infected, and have continued to push forward. Does anyone have any advice on keeping the relationship strong? -- Patrick_Ingram

Click here to join this discussion, or to start your own!

To do this, you'll need to register with TheBody.com's bulletin boards if you're a new user. Registration is quick and anonymous (all you need is an e-mail address) -- click here to get started!



UNDERSTANDING HIV/AIDS LABS


 Can Stress Increase Viral Load?
I've been taking my HIV meds on time for seven years and practicing safe sex. My viral load has been undetectable for a long time now, but recently it popped up to 241. Do I need to worry? Could stress have had a negative effect on my viral load?

Mark Holodniy, M.D., F.A.C.P., C.I.C., responds in the "Understanding Your Labs" forum


HIV & HEPATITIS C TRANSMISSION


 Is a Woman at More or Less Risk for HIV During Her Period?
If a woman has unprotected sex with an HIV-positive man and her menstrual cycle begins very soon after intercourse, is her chance of becoming HIV positive higher, lower or the same as it would be were she not menstruating?

Richard Cordova responds in the "Safe Sex and HIV Prevention" forum


 Hepatitis C and Razors: Is My Child at Risk?
I have hepatitis C. My 2-year-old son got a hold of my razor, which I thought was too high up for him to reach, and got a small cut on his foot. I recall cutting myself using that razor about 36-40 hours prior to this incident. I'm pretty good about rinsing the razor after each use, but I'm still worried about my son. Could he be at risk for hepatitis C? If so, when should I get him tested?

Barbara McGovern, M.D., responds in the "Hepatitis and HIV Coinfection" forum


STRANGE BUT TRUE


 Could the Home HIV Test Give Me HIV?
When I found out I was pregnant I stressed out about getting an HIV test, so I bought one off the internet. I had my actual test about three weeks later and it came back negative. It's now three months after and I have started to worry. When I did my home test I used a lancet. Thinking back, it was really irresponsible to put a pin in my finger, when I had no idea where the pin came from. I have read posts on whether HIV can live on a needle. Some say it can. Some say it can't. Have I put myself and unborn baby at any risk? Should I be re-tested?

David Fawcett, Ph.D., L.C.S.W., responds in the "Mental Health and HIV" forum



Worried Your Spam Filter Might Trash Our Mailings?

The Body's e-mail updates are especially prone to being caught up in spam filters, since our newsletters tend to refer frequently to sex, drugs, the human anatomy and so forth.

To make sure you never miss one of our mailings because anti-spam software labeled it as junk mail, add update@news.thebody.com to your address book, talk to the person who manages your e-mail security or check your anti-spam program's instructions for more information.

About This E-mail

This e-mail update has been sent to nelsonvergel@yahoo.com.

Want to change your subscription? Click here or send us a message at updates@thebody.com.

Missed an update? Our archive of past updates will keep you in the loop.

Have any other questions or comments, and don't want to send an e-mail? Feel free to snail-mail us at:

The Body's E-Mail Updates
Remedy Health Media, LLC
250 West 57th Street
New York, NY 10107




Follow Us
Facebook  Twitter



Activist Central

 Stop Arizona Bill 2625


 Applications to Volunteer at AIDS 2012 Available April 1st


 Under Attack: Your Health Care Rights


 Activists Launch New Survey to Help Speed HIV Cure Research


 Demand Hershey Reverse Decision on HIV+ Student and Dismiss School Officials


 Count HIV+ Women In! PWN Launches National Campaign on World AIDS Day


About Nelson Vergel

Info about Nelson Vergel

Support PoWeR

Program For Wellness Restoration

Health News

Blog Archive

The Cure of HIV is Possible in Our Lifetime