- Improve convenience (reduce dosage frequency, less than once a day).
- Improve tolerability and reduce toxicity (even the best drugs today still have some of these issues).
- Penetrate reservoirs more effectively (such as the genital tract and central nervous system).
- Exploit new targets, thereby improving activity (particularly against drug-resistant viruses).
- Improve formulation.
- Abacavir/lamivudine (3TC, Epivir)/dolutegravir.
- Atazanavir (Reyataz)/cobicistat and darunavir/cobicistat (both in clinical trials).
- Rilpivirine long-acting (RPV-LA).